By L de Blois,Lukas De Blois,R. J. van der Spek,R.J. van der Spek
Integrating the result of scholarly paintings from the previous decade, the authors of An Introduction to the traditional World, Lukas de Blois and R.J. van der Spek, have fully-updated and revised all 16 chapters of this best-selling introductory textbook. overlaying the historical past and tradition of the traditional close to East, Greece and Rome in the framework of a quick narrative historical past of occasions, this book offers an simply readable, built-in evaluate for college students of heritage, classics, archaeology and philosophy, even if in school, at undergraduate point or one of the wider examining public.
This revised moment variation bargains a brand new part on early Christianity and extra particular details at the religions, economies, and societies of the traditional close to East. there's prolonged assurance of Greek, Macedonian and close to japanese historical past of the fourth to moment centuries BC and the historical past of the overdue Roman Republic. the implications of Julius Caesar’s violent demise are lined in additional element, as are the heritage and society of Imperial Rome.
This new variation is:
- comprehensive: covers 3,000 years of historical heritage and offers the foundation for a standard one-semester direction
- lavishly illustrated: comprises maps, line drawings and plates to aid and complement the textual content, with up-to-date captions
- clearly and concisely written: demonstrated and revered college academics with thirty years' event within the topic parts
- well-organized: strains the wide define of political heritage but additionally concentrates on specific issues
- user-friendly: comprises bankruptcy menus, an in depth and accelerated bibliography geared up by way of topic quarter and 3 appendices, a better creation and the addition of an epilogue.
Read Online or Download An Introduction to the Ancient World PDF
Similar ancient history books
The Elder Gods conception bargains a revised account of our previous. identified archaeological findings don't totally help traditional reasons for Earth's improvement, or the emergence of humankind as a species. Archaic proof and historical texts recommend that extraterrestrial impacts can have been current seeing that primordial occasions.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2002 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, notice: 1, Universität Hamburg (Seminar für Alte Geschichte), Veranstaltung: Hauptseminar Alte Geschichte: Caesar und die Krise der römischen Republik, 18 Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Diese Hausarbeit befasst sich mit der Frage inwieweit Caesar seine diktatorische Herrschaft in eine monarchische umzuwandeln gedachte, welche konkreten Beweise für eine daraus entstandene Thesen zu finden sind und schließlich ober dies überhaupt im Sinn hatte.
The 1st ebook to discover the non secular dimensions of the family members and the family in old Mediterranean and West Asian antiquity. Advances our realizing of loved ones and familial faith, instead of state-sponsored or civic temple cults Reconstructs family and relations spiritual practices in Egypt, Greece, Rome, Israel, Mesopotamia, Ugarit, Emar, and Philistia Explores many family rituals, equivalent to offering for ancestral spirits, and petitioning of a household's buyer deities or of spirits linked to the home itself Examines lifecycle rituals – from being pregnant and beginning to adulthood, previous age, demise, and past seems to be at non secular practices with regards to the family either in the domestic itself and different areas, comparable to at extramural tombs and native sanctuaries
Pharaoh Akhenaten, who reigned for seventeen years within the fourteenth century B. C. E, is among the such a lot interesting rulers of historic Egypt. His abnormal visual appeal and his preoccupation with worshiping the solar disc Aten have inspired educational dialogue and controversy for greater than a century. regardless of the varied books and articles approximately this enigmatic determine, many questions on Akhenaten and the Atenism faith stay unanswered.
- Classification from Antiquity to Modern Times: Sources, Methods, and Theories from an Interdisciplinary Perspective
- Women Classical Scholars: Unsealing the Fountain from the Renaissance to Jacqueline de Romilly (Classical Presences)
- Jakobs Himmelsleiter war ein Weltraumlift (German Edition)
- Boiotia in Antiquity: Selected Papers
- Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean
- La Colonne Trajane et les Forums impériaux (Collection de l'École française de Rome) (French Edition)
Extra resources for An Introduction to the Ancient World
An Introduction to the Ancient World by L de Blois,Lukas De Blois,R. J. van der Spek,R.J. van der Spek